A DIY Approach to Natural Pesticides

A DIY Approach to Natural Pesticides

Anyone who wants their lawn to look lush and beautiful needs to take the steps necessary to control the pests that are attempting to destroy it. While Do-It-Yourself pest control and natural lawn care may be more time-consuming, it is much healthier for the environment and those within it. Natural pest control is also less expensive than many of the other pesticides available.

Your Natural Pesticides Checklist

For natural pesticides to be successful, one needs healthy soil with adequate amounts of organic matter. Lawns also need active soil organisms.

Choke Out Weeds

Always use sharp blades to mow. If not, the grass will rip apart as opposed to cutting it. The height adjuster should be set to cut down about 1/3 of the grass. Cutting the lawn this way prevents the sunlight from getting to the soil. This keeps the weeds in the lawn from germinating.

Compost & Fertilize

Apply compost to ensure that the lawn is receiving plenty of nutrients. Just be sure that the compost being used is well-aged. If the compost is too fresh, it could actually burn the grass. Spread the compost across the lawn with a rake. Make sure to spread it under the grass, not on top of it.

Clean Air Lawn Care DIY Natural Pesticides
Photo by Flickr user Evelina

One of the easiest ways to fertilize a lawn is by removing the mower’s grass collection bag. By allowing the cut grass to remain in the yard, young grass will germinate. This helps build a thicker and greener lawn

Avoid Chemical Pesticides

Only 3 percent of the insects in a lawn are actually considered pests. In fact, the other 97 percent of insects are there to help control these pests. When an individual applies a pesticide to his lawn he may kill the pests on top of his lawn, but he also kills his natural pest control located beneath the ground.

Once these pesticides move below the surface they begin killing the beneficial bacteria and worms that actually keep the lawn nourished. There are ways to assist the insects who are keeping the lawn healthy. Bottom line, use natural pesticides and your lawn will thank you.


Nature has a multitasker and its name is cedar. The smell of cedar keeps pests away. There is a product available at feed and farm stores. This product consists of cedar sawdust wrapped in clay. Spreading this product on the lawn keeps the pests away.

Fire Ants

Use Pyrethroids to kill fire ants. Mix pyrethroids and water together and then pour it onto the fire ant mound. It instantly kills the fire ants. Focus this treatment directly on the ants, as this can also harm beneficial insects as well.

Get Rid of the Cutworms & White Grubs

Giving a yard the nutrition it needs to remain healthy and strong is beneficial in the attempt to control pests, weeds and diseases. However, there could be an infestation of white grubs or cutworms.

Bacillus papillae are one of the ways to eliminate white grubs and cutworm. Just spread the Bacillus papillae over the lawn. One may also want to consider introducing beneficial nematodes to his lawn. Beneficial nematodes feed on white grubs and cutworms, as well as many other insects residing in the soil. Nematodes and Bacillus papillae are both spreadable natural pesticides. These items are available in the majority of nurseries and hardware stores. Once the grubs have been removed from the lawn, the small animal activity may begin to decline. Skunks and moles feed on grubs so, once they have been eliminated, these animals have no choice but to find another lawn that offers them a hearty supply of grubs.

About the Author: Adam works with Tony’s Tree Plantation—Oklahoma City’s favorite garden center , nursery & landscaping contractor. Adam enjoys writing about outdoor design and gardening.

Learn more about our approach to sustainable and organic lawn care.

Learn More About Opening A Franchise

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.

Get Your Free Pet Safe Lawn Care Estimate!

Pet Safe Lawn Care


Contact Us
For which brand would you like more information?